Thursday, February 4, 2010

7 things I would do in Japan...

... without spending a lot of money

Rene’s 201X Japan trip Day 1 Itinerary
1. Take a picture with an icon

I’m sorry Mickey. Your magic won’t work on someone with an empty pocket like me. A true story about the loyalty of a dog is more captivating than a mouse that dances around. Hachiko, the loyal dog might not be around anymore, but is still standing strong in the hearts of every passerby of the Shibuya station. Take a picture of Hachiko and I’ll have a story to tell my family and friends back home. They’re probably more interested in this story than how was I spun around in a theme park.
picture credit: Wiki

2. Buy some souvenirs and junks

While I’m at Shibuya, I’ll pay a trip to OUTLET, a general store located in Daikanyama. From post cards to detergent, it’s all under one roof. I’ll get something for Mum , Dad and my sister and there’s John, Jane, Mary, Ali… I’m not too sure about the price in OUTLET, but if it’s out of my budget, I’ll just get something from Daiso, the hundred yen shop. And not forgetting a trip to the conbini (convenient store) for some Japanese snacks and brunch.
picture credit: OUTLET

3. Take a stroll, Emperor Style

I don’t need a new groom or gold to be like an emperor. All I have to do visit the East Gardens (Kokyo Higashi Gyoen) of the Imperial Palace located at Chiyoda city after brunch. The East Gardens were the former site of Edo Castle’s innermost circles of defense. Tokugawa shogun and Emperor Meiji used to reside there before relocating into the Imperial Palace. Price to stroll like an emperor? Admission free! After walking around the East Gardens, I’ll visit the Imperial Garden Theater
.
And If I’m lucky, I’ll be able to catch Domoto Koichi in action. If the weather’s good, I’ll pay a visit to the Yasukuni Shrine which houses one of the few Japanese War Musuem dedicated to World War II.
picture credit: Yukiguni, and Wiki

4. 100 Yen Gourmet

By 2 or 3PM, I should be in Yokohama already. It’s tea time, onaka ga peko peko and broke at the same time. But no worries, Bay Quarter Yokohama’s Victoire has something in store for me. Victoire is a bakery not a toire (toilet). Their extraordinary delicious Roldon’s croissant is the winning bread in the Paris Bakery World Cup and it cost only a 100 yen! I’ll probably get 2 of those.
picture credit: here

5. Architecture Appreciation

While I’m in Yokohama, I’ll visit the old Negishi horse racing track. The very first Western style horse racing in Japan was held here. There is also a Equine museum and a Pony Centre where I can enjoy some horse riding. The entrance fee of the museum is only a hundred yen. The museum closes at 5PM so I probably can’t spend a lot of time here.
picture credit: here

6. 1000 Yen Gourmet

It’s dinner time! Time to hit China town for some good old Chinese food. According to ‘Domoto Tsuyoshi no Shojiki Shindoi’, (a TV program that I frequently watch) there is this really good restaurant called Setsuen. Their top signature dish is the Soup Fried Rice that even the mayor of Yokohama loves it very much. 1050 yen for a plate of soup fried rice is pretty worth it after a long day out.
picture credits: Wiki

7. Good night Yokohama

What? It’s already that late? One last thing to do before leaving Yokohama is to take a panoramic shot of Yokohama’s night view. That shot must include the infamous Ferris wheel that appeared in various Japanese dramas such as Kuitan and Tatta hitotsu no Koi. And when I get my perfect shot, it’s time to say good bye, Yokohama.


This entry is for the February 2010's Japan Blog Matsuri. The theme for this month's matsuri is Japan Top List. Click here for more info of the matsuri.

3 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I've done all of these things, so I can say that's a good list! ^_^

    I hope you'll do all the things you wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Muza-chan
    Thanks! and thanks for organizing this month's Matsuri~ I had fun compiling this list =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ferris wheel is pretty big I swear if you look right at it has a face right in the middle of it. Also I very much enjoyed reading the columns I came across them when I went too a site called 2Leep and I tend to look up Japanese culture a lot.

    ReplyDelete